Strange Emails to Agents
Posted by Chris Peterson on Friday, September 15, 2017 at 11:27 AM
IMLS has received reports of strange emails sent to them mentioning "IMLS Realtor" . Coming from regular-looking email accounts. A few included the following verbiage:
I an my husband need a property to buy, we got your contact from IMLS
Realtor, can you get us a good property? and when can we call you?
Be cautious and aware when responding to emails
NAR Suggests the following tips:
Check your sent mail, junk mail, and email account settings regularly for anomalies. Hackers often break into an email account and modify the “email forwarding” settings to forward emails to their own account.
- Regularly purge your email of unneeded or outdated information. Save any important emails securely.
- Avoid email as a method for sending sensitive or confidential information. Instead, consider using a secure document sharing or transaction management platform.
- Use strong passwords that incorporate a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Use two-factor (or multi-factor) authentication.
- Avoid using unsecured or public Wi-Fi.